Many companies are starting to realize the importance of digital brand management, also known as a company’s online reputation and identity. This is another arena for employers to attract prime candidates without the restrictions of traditional media.
However, with the openness of online brand management comes more monitoring and responsibility. The internet allows individuals to say anything they would like about a company—personally or anonymously. Even the greatest companies can have unhappy employees and clients. The best that you can do is to be prepared and build out your own online reputation.
There are many employer forum websites out on web. Some examples include JobBrite and GlassDoor. Any internet user can log on and leave an anonymous comment on a company. Occasionally these posters can be spam bots or competitors spouting false information.
The acknowledgement of the existence of sites as these can be overwhelming for an employer. However, there are some steps that you can take to protect your online identity.
- Do a digital media audit of what people are saying about the company online. Search Google for your company name as well as high-level representatives within the company. Set up Google Alerts for these identifiers as well as well.
If your company is on social media, use monitoring software such as Hootsuite or Tweetdeck to search keywords relating to your company. These searches will allow you to see the conversation in your industry.You may also come across digital impersonators-an online realm of identity theft. Make sure to circumvent these issues by always registering your trademarks and copyrights.
- Introduce your employees to your social media and digital channels. Happy employees will speak freely about the awesomeness of your company, especially if they are given the free time to do so. Some may not even realize that the company has a Twitter account or LinkedIn page if you don’t show them.
- Create a social media policy. Not every employee will be happy all the time. If you establish some rules and guidelines for mentioning the company on social media and other web pages, you may be able to prevent any online issues. Some good examples of policies can be found easily through a Google search.
- Build out your digital real estate to attract candidates. Managing your digital reputation is essential for recruitment. Your company has to be out there to attract the best candidates. Most employees will do a search before pursuing or deciding on a company.
- Continue to monitor and build your presence.
Clark Personnel Service has opportunities with companies of great brand reputation. Call us today!