Social media is picking up speed as one of the best ways to search for jobs. One of the newer platforms, increasing in popularity, is Pinterest. Pinterest is a virtual cork board, which allows you to “pin” or upload photos and images from different websites.
Pinterest is great for finding the latest fashions or delicious recipes, but it can also be helpful in a job search. How can this visual tool guide you? Here are some ideas.
- Find and research potential companies: Many organizations and companies are now creating their own Pinterest boards to showcase different aspects about their company. It’s a very useful human resources tool. From company picnic photos to awards sessions, it’s a nice way to display a work culture.
- Organize your passion: If you are unsure which field you really want to move in to, Pinterest can help. You can find and “pin” various images of things that interest you, whether it be gardening, economics or home repair. Pinterest is a great tool to organize thoughts and goals.
- Create a portfolio: If you are in a design field, Pinterest is a great way to show off some of your work. But, because it is not a sales tool, be sure to include inspiring pins from others as well.
- Find facts on different industries: You can search for any industry on Pinterest. Take a look at different boards from social media employment to medical, and find articles that can teach you more.
Of course, like any other social media platform, there are some pitfalls. A few things to keep an eye out for:
- Privacy controls: Potential employers could be searching you as well. If you have an entire board of hot CEOs next to “Companies I’d Like To Work For,” well, they may be flattered, but also wary. You can also choose to link your Facebook and Twitter pages. Make sure to check out Pinterest’s help section, to teach you how to privatize your use.
- Timesuck: Pinterest can be, well, addictive. Make sure to use only 15-20 minutes an hour and take breaks with it, rather than rely on it for your entire job search.
Clark Personnel Service always keeps up with the latest and greatest recruiting and job seeking tools. Call us today for more help on your search!